Director of Safety Devitt is retiring and is dismissed as Administrator of Volunteer Firefighters. He was replaced by A.C. Bell, who became the fire chief. 1942 – Bill Banks and firefighters #2 firefighters are invited to build a 1942 Ford V8 chassis at Burnaby`s first closed fire truck. The Council removed the position of Fire Chief and appointed Chief Waddell Chief of the #1 North Area and Deputy Chief of Banking as Chief of the Southern Division of the #2. The demarcation line is the great railway line of Still Creek Lake. 1931 – The water pumps of the #1 barracks are eliminated and firefighters are the first full-time paid firefighters of the commune. A meeting on 26 November at the fire station #1 is called to discuss the creation of a premises of the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF). 1945: Chief Waddell`s annual report, calling for a new fire hall at Willingdon and Hastings, was rejected, as was the request for additional firefighters. Chief Waddell and Chief Banks are both named fire safety officers. Council agreed to have a telephone installed at the fire station #2. Burnaby Lions Club gives the first inhaler (oxygen therapy) unit. 1976: Fire Chief Collum retires in March.
Deputy Chief Buckley takes over as fire chief, with the municipality announcing a competition for the position of Fire Chief. Thomas Nairn, a marshal from the Yukon Territory Fire, will be appointed Burnaby Fire Director in July. Buckley, fire chief, is appointed director of fire operations. In August, Union President Bill Copeland filed a complaint with the employment agency, accusing the Council of violating the collective agreement. The employment agency decided in favour of the municipality, prompting firefighters to sign a petition on non-confidence in October. 1938 – On April 11, Burnaby firefighters decide to reintegrate into IAFF and keep the local name 323. You are known as the burnaby Firefighters Association and you still work today. Union representatives from Coquitlam and Port Moody Fire did not respond to requests for comment, but PoCo IAFF Local 1941 President Brandon Dougan told The Tri-City News that discussions had already begun with the city. It represents 78 unionized employees, including 72 firefighters. 1952: Fred Blake is promoted to district chief for training. The #3 fire station will be completed in December. Eleven additional firefighters are hired.
2001 – The new #5 fire station will open in February on Hastings Street 4211. On September 11, terrorists attacked the Twin Towers in New York. 343 New York firefighters die on the ground. More than 150 Burnaby firefighters will travel to New York next year to attend funerals and special events in memory of the tragedy. 1946: A provincial government order required Burnaby to hire six additional firefighters. On October 9, Council approved the construction of a new fire hall in Willingdon and Hastings. The $28,000 contract is awarded to contractors from Bennett and White. 1932 – A second meeting is convened on January 15, and the vice-president of the IAFF 6th District, Captain MacDonald of the Vancouver Fire Department, addresses the Burnaby Fire Department. The first union meeting will take place on March 30 and the 6th District Vice-President will present the Charter for the Official Creation of city Firefighters Union Local 323. Frank Noble is elected first President of the Union and Gordon Waddell first secretary. The members are Fred Blake, Henry Chapman, Albert Killer, Ed Tugwood and Bill Harris.
Residents of the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) are also negotiating to update the agreements in the fire halls of Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody. Their last contract, which came into effect on January 1, 2012, was eight years and saw annual salary increases of 2.5% per year in each department. 1935: Burnaby firefighters are reorganized and firefighters abandon the International Charter.